Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

want to find or design a battery charger / battery saver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why, you may say? Its my understanding that fully discharging NiCD's makes them last even longer, and reduces the memory effect. Or so I am told.
I would only do this to a battery that has made a memory. Doing this on a routine basis will shorten the battery life. The chargers in the RC hobby have a discharge switch to remove the memory. Andy

Mr.Al-
after reading your post, I think I can pretty much do what I need with timers.

1. for high-current items like drills, I'll get the "manual" 24 hour timer, and every time its used: 1) turn the power switch to on; 2) turn the dial so it runs for 24 hr, but then only comes on 1 hr a day after that. Note; this ignores setting the timer to the actual time.

2. for a laptop, I'll get a digital timer and set it to come on every couple of hours long enough to keep the laptop charged, then turn off overnight. That way it keeps the laptop charged during the day when it is used a lot, but is only being actively charged for maybe 6 hr or so total per day. (Despite what a previous post said, I have read and experienced that leaving a laptop plugged in all the time does indeed lead to short battery life)

thanks again,

Pete

Note: a laptop will count the charge cycles, more cycles is only going to make it worse. No matter how you treat them they'll only last about two years.

Item already exists.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Sorry what looks good?

I mistakenly thought that particular timer was somewhat unique. Silly me.

Unless someone is aware of a timer that does more than the hundreds available at every possible type of store, I think this thread has reached its logical conclusion.

Thanks everyone for participating, its a great forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back