Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

want to convert floppy's motor as simple 6V DC motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mamun2a

you all know that floppy drive has a motor with long spin rod, but this motor is operated by pc but i want to make it as simple to operate with 3-6 volt DC battery.

any one help me.

I think those are stepper motors, they can't be run directly off DC signals, you'd have to make a driver for it.

If it is an old 51/4 floppy drive with a belt and flywheel, the motor has a speed control
board. If you disconnect the motor red and black wires from the speed control board, you can run it with out the speed control board.

dear power58, what do u mean by old 51/4 floppy, now a days we only found 3.5" floppy drive, are u talk about 5" disk floppy?

if it is 3.5" floppy please give me some more detail.

thanks.

5 1/4 inch drives were where the term 'Floppy' came from.

The magnetic media that was used was actually very weak and would flop back and forth. There were significantly larger then disks of today and were more prone to data loss as they had an exposed centre.

Then came the 3 1/2 inch floppy. Which is more of a hardened plastic cased floppy disk with a greater capacity.

scuzz, actually 8" floppy is where the "floppy" name came from.
8" (79K, 175K, 230K, 500K, 980K) drives came "first" :) ... the 5.25" 180K SS, 360KDS, then 1.2M HD DS came later and then 3.5" 720K SD/ 1.44M HD came

I have somewhere in da house some 8" and 5.25" drives and maybe some floppies if you cannot find a pic on the net, I can make some :)

It's hard to even find machines with floppy's anymore. I'll be getting a "Pico usb drive" for Christmas which is actually smaller than a standard USB connector and holds 8 gig, I could easily swallow it without hurting myself =O My how far we've come =) What power58 is talking about is the spindle motor from a 5 1/2inch, those were straight DC motor with a speed controller and a hall effect sensor to control rotation speed, steppers are significantly more precise in maintaining a fix rotation speed. All the motors in a 3-1/2" drive are gonna be steppers.

scuzz, actually 8" floppy is where the "floppy" name came from.
8" (79K, 175K, 230K, 500K, 980K) drives came "first" :) ... the 5.25" 180K SS, 360KDS, then 1.2M HD DS came later and then 3.5" 720K SD/ 1.44M HD came

I have somewhere in da house some 8" and 5.25" drives and maybe some floppies if you cannot find a pic on the net, I can make some :)

An interesting side bar, the original 8" floppy media and drive was developed for internal use only by IBM in the early 70s. It stored the microcode used when rebooting a IBM 370 main frame system. Later they offered it in data entry products used to replace punch card equipment.

Yea, I'm that old, and get off my lawn ;)

Lefty

Last edited:
lefty, the "old" when computer industry is involved is very relative, in a single lifetime a byte that was size of a human arm evolutes to 4G drive that is 1x1x1mm

Those first drives were niiiiice :) even the dshd 5.25 ones were cool, and useful to scavenge :)

hi arhi,
In South Africa they call 'floppies' ... 'stiffies'. not a joke.!

It's fairly common all round the world, but ONLY for 3.5 inch ones, which are'nt floppy at all being in stiff plastic casings.

Wikipedia:
Floppy disk
A floppy disk is an obsolete data storage medium that is composed of a disk of thin, flexible ("floppy") magnetic storage medium encased in a square or rectangular plastic shell.
Would you walk into your computer shop and ask for a 3.5 inch stiffie or a 3.5 inch floppy disk.?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
No I wouldn't, and have never used the name :D

However, it is (or was) common all over the place.

When I asked a female shop assistant in SA if she had a couple of floppies,
I thought she was going to hit me, my son had to quickly explain that I meant stiffies.:eek:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back