Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Want to connect a ps/2 keyboard to a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget

Hi I want to be able to have a ps/2 keyboard connected to a PIC.

You need to include more info like what type of PIC do you want to use? If you want my opinion I would go with the 18xxx series.

Also what type of project are you making?

Thanks but I want to know how to constuct it?
I guess I will go with the 18xxx series Pic but I don't no where to go from there. I am currently building a robot and I want it to have it have a keyboard on board I think that it would be cool.
:D

the details for the construction of the PS/2 to PIC interface is in the article. for that you will have to buy the magazine.

what type of a robot are you planning to build and will it be big enough to have a full size on board PS/2 keyboard?

and by the way, why did you pick the 18 series? is it because you are going to program in C?

This is going to be a 3feet tall robot so space is not an issue. The reason I am using the 18 is because I have never used it before and want to try it.
From what I herd it is alot better then the 16xxx series.

I actually had this same problem when my microcontroller teahcer asked us to pick a project. I had an old IBM keyboard and wanted to control it with an ATMEL chip. Once you find out the sequence that the keyboard outputs and have the processor read it, you will need a bank of corrosponding charactors for the program to look for. I can send you my program code if it will help any.
My future plans for the keyboard are to make a wireless remote control to input text and other functions into a scrolling mesage board/clock system.
~Mike

This site **broken link removed** is really good, try it out! You will find projects interfacing PC with PIC or keyboard or mouse!

Gadget said:
This is going to be a 3feet tall robot so space is not an issue. The reason I am using the 18 is because I have never used it before and want to try it.

'Better' is a very relative term!, the 18F series are more complicated to use as they have a larger instruction set, although if you are already experienced with the 16F series it's not a large change - but you need to be VERY aware of the differences between the two series, there are a number of differences that aren't obvious at forst glance.

The 16F series is already the equivilent of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut for this job, moving to the 18F series is using a steamroller to do the same job :lol:

In robotics speed is rarely a problem, a PIC will spend almost all it's time doing nothing except wasting time - changing from 16F to 18F will probably increase the 'wasted time' from something like 99.5% to 99.7%.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Gadget said:

'Better' is a very relative term!, the 18F series are more complicated to use as they have a larger instruction set, although if you are already experienced with the 16F series it's not a large change - but you need to be VERY aware of the differences between the two series, there are a number of differences that aren't obvious at forst glance.

The 16F series is already the equivilent of using a sledgehammer to crack a nut for this job, moving to the 18F series is using a steamroller to do the same job :lol:

In robotics speed is rarely a problem, a PIC will spend almost all it's time doing nothing except wasting time - changing from 16F to 18F will probably increase the 'wasted time' from something like 99.5% to 99.7%.
:lol: Gadget: 18Fs are cool but keep in mind that programs written for 16F will need to be modified to run on 18F also hardware has more feature and therefore it is more compicated. But once you will start with 18F, it's not a big deal...

Jay posted the website I used for my keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back