Want to build something that will change audio channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonos

Hey all,

First of all, I must warn you that I'm not good at electronics (as you can probably tell by reading this post), so please bear with me

A few months ago, I got a new desk for my computer. Before I had the desk, the living room was like this (excuse my Paint skills)

**broken link removed**

I used to sit at the armchair and the monitor and the TV were in front of me.

Now, I've put a desk (which is now where my computer is) between the R and the RR channels:

**broken link removed**

As you can see however, the audio channels are now messed up due to this change!
So, I was wondering, is there any way to make the audio channels like this?

**broken link removed**

Physically switching the cables is not an option, since there are times where I want to sit on the armchair and watch something from the computer on the TV.

I was wondering if it is possible to create a hardware-based solution that where I would be able to select which channels setting I want with a rocker switch or something similar.
The device would have 3 female 3.5mm audio ports which would be connected to the computer via 3 line in cables. The output would be another 3 female 3.5mm audio ports where the cables that are connected to the speakers would be plugged in. Depending on the state of a rocker switch/button, the device would either "send" the audio as it was received (which means that I'm sitting on the armchair, watching TV), or "send" it to the "correct" speakers (L->R, R->RR, RL->L, RR->RL, C->?? (possibly R and RR?)).

I've also drawn two small "schematics" to show you what I mean.

When the switch/button is into position 1 the setup for watching TV will be used:

**broken link removed**

When the switch/button is into position 2 the setup for using the computer will be used:

**broken link removed**

Would that work?

Thanks

I have a 4-pole Double-Throw toggle switch that would work. A 4PDT relay would too. The relay can be mounted where needed; but controlled for elsewhere.

I have a 4-pole Double-Throw toggle switch that would work. A 4PDT relay would too. The relay can be mounted where needed; but controlled for elsewhere.

Thanks for your reply
What about the center speaker though?
Wouldn't I need a 6PDT?

Also, would a simple 6PDT switch work, or does it have to be a relay?
Basically, what is a relay? Wikipedia says that "a relay is an electrically operated switch". Does that mean that if I use a relay I will also need a power source?

Sorry for the stupid questions! Like I said, I'm not very good at electronics...

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…