Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wall warts in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

marplots

I need some schoolin'.

I get one of those "Learn Electronics On Your Own, between spa visits and pedicures" books, and they start right off with- 'get a 45 volt dry cell'. So, being the cheap, no-money goof off that I am, I start looking around for something handy....

The question is, can I connect 'wall warts', those ubiquitous AC to DC adapters in series like I might do with regular batteries?

In other words, can I plug in two or more adapters and then just connect the DC output sides postive to negative like I might stack batteries to get a higher voltage?

How old is that book?

Not very many modern circuits require a 45V power supply.

You can connect mains adaptors in series but bear in mind that the maximum current you can draw will depend on the one with the lowest current rating.

You could also get a 9VAC adaptor and add a voltage quadrupler on the output. which would give 50V minus the rectifier losses.

I would look for more modern circuits that have a more sesnsible power supply requirement.

They were used in radios made from vacuum tubes. Theya also had 70VDC and 90VDC IIRC.

Many years ago I made sequential blinkers with neon bulbs and two 45V dry cells. I cast them in clear plastic.

I forgot to have a vent for the batteries and one project blew up!

Papabravo said:
They were used in radios made from vacuum tubes. Theya also had 70VDC and 90VDC IIRC.

67 1/2 volts was another 'standard' dry cell if I recall correctly. I remember that I could just feel a little tingle if I touched across the battery terminals. I believe these higher voltage dry cells were called 'B' cells for anode voltage for portable vacuum tube equipment. Also low voltage 'A' cells (1 1/2V) were used for the filament voltage. There were also 'C' cell I think but forget their voltage ranges and purpose.

Lefty

Leftyretro said:
67 1/2 volts was another 'standard' dry cell if I recall correctly. I remember that I could just feel a little tingle if I touched across the battery terminals. I believe these higher voltage dry cells were called 'B' cells for anode voltage for portable vacuum tube equipment. Also low voltage 'A' cells (1 1/2V) were used for the filament voltage. There were also 'C' cell I think but forget their voltage ranges and purpose.

Lefty

hi Lefty,
We used also a 'grid bias' battery, 1.5v to 9v in 1.5v steps.
A 120V HT battery and a 2V lead acid for the heaters.

In the mid 1950's, I made a very cool regenerative AM receiver with a 1S5 vacuum tube. It used a 1.5V dry cell (with knurled nuts on the terminals) and a 22.5V plate supply battery, which looked a lot like a modern 9V battery.

marplots said:
I need some schoolin'.

I get one of those "Learn Electronics On Your Own, between spa visits and pedicures" books, and they start right off with- 'get a 45 volt dry cell'. So, being the cheap, no-money goof off that I am, I start looking around for something handy....

The question is, can I connect 'wall warts', those ubiquitous AC to DC adapters in series like I might do with regular batteries?

In other words, can I plug in two or more adapters and then just connect the DC output sides postive to negative like I might stack batteries to get a higher voltage?
Yes, you can connect them in series.

When I was little I could barely lift a huge #6 dry cell which was used to start my glow plug airplane engines. For carbon/zinc it had plenty of Amps.

Hey! I have two 45 volt dry cells! They are both dead, of course, but they look cool. They are Eveready Energizer brand. I have attached a pic of them (with a regular 9v battery for size comparison.) Oh, and sorry for the crappy quality... webcam sucks... ;)

Attachments

• battery.PNG
    battery.PNG
    264.2 KB · Views: 213
Of course everybody has "tasted" a 9V battery with their tongue.
Taste a 90V battery!!:D

I say bring back the higher voltage batteries, especially in inverters and UPSes. I like the idea of being able to power most mains appliances by connecting an h-bridge to a 340V battery.

marplots said:
I need some schoolin'.

as long as the output of the adapter is dc not ac.

You could take 5 - 9 volt batteries and connect them in series - if that combination will provide sufficient current for your needs.

You can actually connect them by plugging one half of each into the next, mating the terminals on the top in a daisy chain.

Leftyretro - B+ , as in the name of the supply line in tube equipment, carried on to televisions, and still listed on schematics today.

hi marplots,

A diagram may help.
Remember if your total voltage with the WART's in series exceeds 48Vdc, exercise caution regarding electric shock hazards.

Last edited:
I have serious concerns about a person needing a 45v battery while visiting a spa for a pedicure.

IMHO, spas are for spoiled, rich celebs, aging women who desparately try to hang on to their escaping youth, and lastly, for men who are metrosexuals. A swimming pool, a bicycle, a football, and a good pair of sneakers and socks is good enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back