Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wall power adapter with battery backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doughy

I'm working on an electronics project that I need to make sure stays functional even if the power goes out. I need something like a wall power adapter that also has a battery backup inside. That way if the power goes out, the battery will supply voltage until the power comes back on. When the power comes back on, the battery charges back up.

Can anyone think of an off-the-shelf product that would do the trick? I need at least 3 Volts DC, and 50mA of current.

It would be easy to build using a wall adapter and 3 rechargable batteries, but I've not seen one off the shelf.

How long a power outage?

Three NiMh cells would give you about 4.5V to 3.5V as they discharge, so a LDO regulator downstream is probably in order. A retired 5V cell-phone charger could be used to supply power to the LDO input while simultaneously trickle-charging the batteries. A couple of Schottky streering diodes would automate the switch-over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back