Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wall Power adapter output concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uziel

Hello, this question may sound senseless but I am novice, just looking for clarification. My Cordless phone has a Wall wart AC Power Adapter rated at 9v 500mAh. As far as replacement is concerned, does output power only matters or we have to be specific with ratings also? Like a 4.5V 1A adapter output will also be 4.5W as original rating. I have read in this forum that higher current rating may not matter but higher voltage may damage. Also, I have heard that SMPS based supplies senses the actual load and outputs accordingly. Please correct me.

AC Power Adapter rated at 9v 500mAh
You need to get a 9V adapter.
You need a 500mA or larger. (I would look for 500mA to 1A) In theory a million Amps will work just fine. (if you can afford one LOL)

Amps or Watts need to be equal to or larger.

Local thrift shops have dozens of these older-style, iron core transformer wall-warts for ~$1. Do not use a modern (light-weight) switching power supply, but look for the ones that have a bit of weight when you pick them up.

It is usually much harder to match the coaxial plug that was on the old charger than to match the voltage/amperage rating.

Make sure that the replacement wall-wart has AC (unrectified) output; not DC (internally half or full-wave rectified)

Make sure that the replacement wall-wart has AC (unrectified) output; not DC (internally half or full-wave rectified)
:confused: First check markings on your existing adapter and your phone base unit to be certain whether the unit requires an AC input (which I doubt) or a DC input. Make a note, too, of the plug polarity if the unit input is DC.

:confused: First check markings on your existing adapter and your phone base unit to be certain whether the unit requires an AC input (which I doubt) or a DC input....

About one third of older consumer appliances utilized an AC wall-wart where the rectification, battery charging, and regulation is done inside the appliance; not the wall-wart. The wall-wart markings clearly show if it is AC or DC output.

Most older DC wall-warts have either one internal rectifier (half-wave), or an internal full-wave bridge, and some have an internal filter capacitor and some dont. When used as a DC supply for projects, the DC wall-warts are usually have a big voltage drop-off between no-load and loaded, and require a chip voltage regulator inside the project. If they dont have an internal filter capacitor, or the internal one is too small, you usually have to add one externally...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back