Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wall hidden pressure sensors for home security

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumyajeet das

Hi, I am thinking of designing a total home security system which can produce alert sirens, lock the doors automatically, send sms to owner's mobile and call #100 for police assistance.
My idea is to design
> A pressure sensor (parent sensor) microchip which can be pre-set to a warning pressure weight range, cemented in any one of the wall of home and its multiple wireless sensors (wirelessly paired with parent sensor) that can be cemented into multiple walls as wanted.
> An auto-lock system that responds to the alarm and engages immediately with a secret manual unlock mechanisms (Combination of 2 or more keys).
> An automated SMS firing system.
> An auto caller with name and address of the owner to alert the police (with optional activation mode).

Intended functionality - If anybody climbs or applies pressure on any walls ANYWHERE within the home perimeter, then the siren activates instantaneously and locks all the doors automatically. Multiple SMS's (with pre-recorded messages) are fired in regular successions to pre-set mobile number and a distress call goes to the police (with optional activation mode).

I know my ideas have gone wild and sadly enough i am not even an electrician or scientist to do all this. But I want to give it a try if guided by some real geniuses.

Last edited:
Welcome to ETO!
Fine in theory, but you may have to overcome a few problems in practice.
1) If the sensors are buried in the wall, how will you get power to them?
2) Depending on your location, will you be able to differentiate intruder-caused vibration from general building vibration due to vehicles, thunder and minor earth tremors?
3) Will the police take kindly to frequent false alarms? Do they give low priority or even respond at all to domestic alarms?
4) If an intruder gains entry, do you really want to be locked in with them?
5) What precautions will you take to prevent the alarm being triggered by radio interference, or deliberately by a would-be intruder or joker?

Welcome to ETO, soumyajeet das!
> A pressure sensor (parent sensor) microchip which can be pre-set to a warning pressure weight range, cemented in any one of the wall of home and its multiple wireless sensors (wirelessly paired with parent sensor) that can be cemented into multiple walls as wanted.
As the sole alarm triggering device, what activity do you envision this pressure sensor detecting that might be abnormal?

Something in the floor I can see, but in a wall is unusual.

If anybody climbs or applies pressure on any walls ANYWHERE within the home perimeter,

Anywhere? Assuming the pressure sensor is a large plastic sheet or film, how are you going to extend that to the corners of every wall? That would be difficult in a house under construction, and near-impossible in an existing house. And what will it detect?

ak

(An auto caller with name and address of the owner to alert the police.)
Most, if not All Police Stations FROWN on doing this!

To reduce the number of required sensors, you should agree in advance with the thieves-to-be all the possible paths available to them.

Thieves? Intruders? Alarms? Why? Do you live in the jungle with wild animals all over the place?
I live in a civilized city without any of that.

(An auto caller with name and address of the owner to alert the police.)
Most, if not All Police Stations FROWN on doing this!

It's not been allowed for years in the UK - alarms have to call to an alarm company, who then contact the person responsible, and the Police are only called once a definite event is proved.

.... by which time the intruders are long gone ;).

Thieves? Intruders? Alarms? Why? Do you live in the jungle with wild animals all over the place?
I live in a civilized city without any of that.

I presume police was re-trained just to guide tourists through such a paradise. Has been the 911 number discontinued then? :hilarious:

I presume police was re-trained just to guide tourists through such a paradise. Has been the 911 number discontinued then? :hilarious:
It is the tourists with their smuggled guns that cause trouble here. We call 911 if there is a car crash, a heart attack or a fire.

Greetings all,
First of all let me thank each one of you (Analogkid, Chemelec, Alec_t, Cowboybob, Audioguru, Atferrari, Nigelgoodwin)for sharing your valuable inputs. I am delighted to see so many people responding to this wild idea. Positive or sarcastic, all your feedback is worth considering looking at the various problems that can be caused if this idea becomes a reality. So your critical analysis on the various aspects are as welcome as the encouraging positive ideas.
Coming back to topic, I stay in a country where unfortunately house break-in's are a common phenomenon, which the police by itslef has been unable to control. So demand for security systems are rising day by day and people are looking for the latest ones with affordable prices.
  • As for powering the device is concerned i think concealed wiring will work. (Excuse my idea as I am a complete novice :banghead:)
  • Differentiating an intruder climbing a wall or hitting the wall with an object might be possible if the sensors are programmed to detect pressure only on the walls and its connected doors/windows individually beyond a set pressure range rather than detecting a sudden/continous impact on the ground (something that a earthquake or a vehicle passing by can cause)
  • Call alert to police is an optional function intended to be activated only incase u need, as might be in the case of distinguished VIP's.
  • This device will be designed to stop the intruder well before gaining entry with auto-locking mechanism egngaing before the house break-in becomes successful and incase he does gain entry then i guess the system has already failed to function. (Then I guess both owner and intruder will have a great story to share with us :hilarious:)
  • As far as radio frequency disturbances are concerned, i don't know anything on that.
  • Being a wireless device all secondary devices can be paired with the primary device to trigger the same function but from different walls wirelessly.
I am planning to design a prototype and experiment its functionality and usefulness in my home first and then i might start taking orders.

Call alert to police is an optional function intended to be activated only incase u need, as might be in the case of distinguished VIP's.
Are VIPs in the habit of breaking into houses in the country where you live?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back