Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!! I fried my BIOS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I did everything I was supposed to do in order to flash my BIOS. It started to flash, and then just quit. Deader than a doornail. I had a UPS, a clean floppy with the flash utility from SOYO and the new instruction set.

My motherboard is a SOYO SY-6BA+IV-2AA2 and the BIOS is an AWARD Modular BIOS v4.51PG with an AWARD PnP BIOS extension v1.0A.

SOYO isn't any help and AWARD just wants a lot of money. What can I do? Can I re-burn the EEPROM, or does anyone have a (cheap) replacement?

ps-In case you were wondering why I needed to flash the BIOS, AWARD in its infinite wisdom, put a 32GB cylinder limit on any associated hard drive. I had already bought a Maxtor 80GB drive before I found this out. Maxtor knew about this and wrote a work-around, but, wouldn't you know it--it works for every other BIOS except the AWARD v4.51PG!!

damn, that sucks. you will probrably have to buy another crappy bios from award, the newer one though. unless you have another computer with an eprom burner, and an extra eprom laying around that is exactly the same as the original. then, you might be able to install the new bios upgrade on it. and yes, award is a stupid company.

hmm so now the computer wont even boot at all ey??

Try "hot flashing". This technique requires you to to obtain a computer that has the same motherboard and run the flash utility, right before you press enter you swap chips while power is still on and flash away!!!

Look on google for a guide, they're out there :!:

Oh forgot to mention- it's risky but has worked!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back