Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VPP Problems (PIC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UTMonkey

Hi All,

I have a PIC that has suddenly become unresponsive. the PicKit2 software diagnostics report a problem with VPP.

If I unplug my Junebug and test VPP it passes, insert it back into the circuit it fails reporting a short.

I have removed the MCLR pullup and the problem persists - take the PIC out of the circuit and test and it passes.

So it looks like it is definitely something to do with the PIC, have I locked it up??? how can I unlock it?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Hi Bill, thanks for the response.

I have done as you suggested, unfortunately it hasnt made any difference.

I doubt I have killed my PIC - just confused it.

Is their some kind of re-initialisation process I can perform?

Regards

Mark

Quicky breadboard it and erase it with the PICkit 2 software? You've probably already tried it, but maybe not?

When I was unable to connect to or reprogram a few PICs with MPLAB, because I had turned on the Timer1 clock, that was the only thing that would get them working again. Even then they had to be PICkit 2 powered. Target power had to be off or it wouldn't work.

Or use the "hammer and coins" method. Put the PIC on a rock and hit it hard with a hammer so you can see its insides. Verrry interesting! :p Use the coins to buy a new PIC.

Last edited:
Hi Futz,

Unfortunately I get the error before any connections takes place.

I could do with a few more suggestions before I resort to "Hammer and Coins" ;-)

Thanks for the advice

Mark

Thanks for the suggestion 3V0.

I do have 3 more 18f2550's so I did as you suggested, get PicKit2 to recognise a good chip (which it did) and then swap it with the "confused" chip to erase (which unfortunately it didn't).

I was always told it was pretty difficult to kill a PIC, and to say that previous to this happening I was happily debugging the chip fine makes this slightly strange.

Throw the "confused" chip in the garbage?

Mark

I do have 3 more 18f2550's so I did as you suggested, get PicKit2 to recognise a good chip (which it did) and then swap it with the "confused" chip to erase (which unfortunately it didn't).

I was always told it was pretty difficult to kill a PIC, and to say that previous to this happening I was happily debugging the chip fine makes this slightly strange.

Mark
Once I killed the same type chip trying to program pickit2 firmware while assembling the Junebug. Ofcourse I was trying to use a local PIC pppppprogrammer of JDM type with external supply.On suggestions from Bill, the proud designer of Junebug, and help of another friend who had a PICKIT2 and I could program a second chip. made possible by interconnecting un-programed PIC18F2550 on Junebug , to Pickit2. The faulty chip becomes too HOT as I connect Vdd and Vss.

Instead of Rock&Hammermethod, I decided to keep it on my work bench, to remind me of possible failures, unless done cautiously and methodically.

Mark

Connect 24V to the "confused" chip... if no smoke comes out it must be broken already... if smoke does come out..you just broke it...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Connect 24V to the "confused" chip... if no smoke comes out it must be broken already... if smoke does come out..you just broke it...:rolleyes:
Sounds like how we forecast the weather here where I live.

You look out the window at the mountains. If you can see the mountains, it's going to rain. If you can't see the mountains, it's already raining! :D

You won't be able to fry a PIC so easily. I have connected power backwards and 12VDC. It is now one of my Junebugs, and I have never had a problem with it yet. Hardy little buggers, with I could say the same for some of my 74HC's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back