Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronman

Hello,

I have a question regarding to amplifiers.
Can somebody direct me how to connect a Volume to an amplifier to adjust the audio?
What about the mike Volume?
Do I need to put one side pins of each volume to the ground or I should do it just for mike Volume?
Is there any common Standard o so?

Thanks?

P.s please tell me when to use 2 pins of the volume and when to use 3 pins of it?

A volume control is an adjustable voltage divider, not a rheostat. It has an input pin, a ground pin and a sliding wiper pin. 3 pins are used for a single channel volume control.

Here is an example:

Attachments

• LM386 with mic.PNG
    LM386 with mic.PNG
    13 KB · Views: 153
A volume control is an adjustable voltage divider, not a rheostat. It has an input pin, a ground pin and a sliding wiper pin. 3 pins are used for a single channel volume control.

Here is an example:

Thanks,
Is it for adjusting the output sound (I.e the speaker)?
What about the mike volumes? Or the above system (your pic) is doing the same thing for th both?

No, I was talking about a spread circuit including a mike, not a mike and an input.

If I have a preamplifier connected to the amplifier, Where to connect the volume?
Can I put it on the input of the preamplifier where the signal comes to the amplifier?

If you have a 1K volume and lose some of loudness when you connect it to amplifier what do you do? Suppose you can not go for higher resistance volumes because then you have to use a small part of the volume turn to reach to the zero to the Max of the loudness.

If the input impedance of the amplifier is 56k ohms then use a 10k volume control.
The volume control is supposed to be a logarithmic type (audio taper) because your hearing's response to loudness is logarithmic and a linear volume control will not adjust the volume properly from zero to maximum.

If you connect the volume control between the preamp and the power amp then when you turn down the volume you also turn down the electronic noise (hiss).

If the input impedance of the amplifier is 56k ohms then use a 10k volume control.
The volume control is supposed to be a logarithmic type (audio taper) because your hearing's response to loudness is logarithmic and a linear volume control will not adjust the volume properly from zero to maximum.

If you connect the volume control between the preamp and the power amp then when you turn down the volume you also turn down the electronic noise (hiss).

So I can connect the volume to each The preamplifie an or amplifier input right?

I have a Strange problem, My volume does work correctly only if I Connect the ground to one sides of it via a capacitor?! I have used the volume in accordance to your pic.

How do yo guys choice a specific volume for a circuit? Suppose you have designed a circuit, How do you choice the best value volume for it? just a current and or a voltage divider formula?

So I can connect the volume to each The preamplifie an or amplifier input right?
Like I said before, you can connect a volume control between the output of the preamp and the input of the power amp.

I have a Strange problem, My volume does work correctly only if I Connect the ground to one sides of it via a capacitor?! I have used the volume in accordance to your pic.
Sketch your input and your power amp.
My circuit has the input of the volume control fed through a DC-blocking capacitor, the ground pin of the volume control connected to ground and the slider connected directly to the input pin3 of the LM386 power amp that is 0V.
If the input of your power amp has a DC voltage then a DC blocking capacitor must be in series with the slider of the volume control.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back