Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I have a 555 timer hooked up to an 8 ohm speaker and I adjust it with a variable potentiometer. I get different tones depending on how I increase or decrease resistance. Here is my question: Since the only component driving the speaker is the 555 chip, then if I had the chip (output pin #3) control an NPN transistor and the transistor control the speaker will I get more power to the speaker and make it much louder ?

A 555 is overloaded if it drives an 8 ohm speaker with a supply voltage higher than 4.5V. The 555 and a single transistor will not produce AC, they produce pulses of DC which is bad for a speaker. The 555 can have an output capacitor in series with the speaker to give it aC, then the max supply voltage is 8.2V.
To get more power you need a higher supply voltage for an amplifier which also causes the AC current in the speaker to be higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back