Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Volume Potentiometer too Sensitive

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickerMouse

Hi, I'm new to electronics so apologies in advance for my lack of technical terminology. Basically I'm wokring on a project where I am modernising a radiogram.
Inside the radiogram I have put a set of computer speakers and into the input of this system I have an ipod.
Plugging the Ipod directly into the computer speakers works fine but I want to use the volume pot. on the radiogram to control the sound. To do this I have hooked the Ipod up to this radiogram volume pot and the output of this then hooks up to the computer speakers.
Once it is hooked up like this the volume pot. of the radiogram becomes very sensitive, 3/4 of the way it is not very loud but the last 1/4 the sound goes mental.
I have tried using the same set-up but with my stereo rather than the computer speakers and the radiogram vol. pot. works fine so I'm thinking there is something wrong with the computer speakers.
I'm using Altec Lansing ATP3 computer speakers and the radiogram vol. pot. is a 0.5 meg ohm log.
Could it have something to do with the volume control on the computer speakers and would bypassing them fix it?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

0.5 Meg ohms is much too high for a volume control. You are simply lucky that your stereo has a very high input impedance but most amplified computer speakers need a 10k ohms (or 5k ohms) volume control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back