Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Volume controlled alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colliex

Hi there,
Would anyone have some suggestions as to which modules I should purchase and how I should design a circuit to go from a vibration sensor to a micro controller to a volume controlled alarm with a back up battery power supply.

Welcome to ETO!
What sort of vibrations are we talking about? Fly's wing? Earthquake? ...?
Is the alarm just a personl one, or does it have to be broadcast to a large audience? ...or?
What battery do you plan to use?
Backup battery suggests you have an alternative power source. What is it?

Hi!
You should give us more details about the project you want to build, to know exactly how we can help with your project!:)

I'm talking about the vibrations from a mobile phone. The alarm would be loud enough to hear through out a standard size house. I would preferably be able to power it via a USB power supply so the battery back up would need to be able to cover this.
Thanks
Mark

Ok. What do you want the micro to do?

As you can tell I am an electronics amateur but I presumed I would need a micro controller to power an LED for ready state and to switch off the alarm when the vibrating phone stops or at a predetermined amount of time. I am on call 24 hours a day and need to be able to hear my mobile ring when it is on the charger. The idea I have is to set up the vibration sensor on a component box and attach it to a tray which is mounted by flexible supports into which I can place my work phone when it is charging.

Thanks

Mark

Do you have the equipment and skill set to scratch-build a system from a schematic and discrete components, or will you have to work with off-the-shelf modules? Do you have a charger for a small sealed lead acid battery to be used as the back-up power supply?

Why use the vibrator? When in vibrate mode, ring sound outputs on the headphone interface. You could plug your phone via the headphone jack into a wifi headphone to amp thingy.

I am a tradesman so I do have the skills and equipment to solder components together. I would prefer to use modules if there is something available. Do I need a lead acid battery?

If you do a google you can do this without sensign vibrations, 'phones transmit before they ring or vibrate, and there are a few circuits on the web that detect the rf from the transmit and light a led or sound a beeper.

Do I need a lead acid battery?
No; some other type will do. Alkaline cells would be ok, but if you want a rechargeable type then SLA or NiMh would be easier to keep topped up than, say, a lithium battery. You are likely going to need more than a few volts if you want an alarm to sound throughout the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back