Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Volume Control for TV Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to control the volume from a security system microphone into a 12" TV monitor as shown on the attached schematic. The sound works OK without a volume control but it is too loud. I believe the shields should be connected together and one (+) wire connected to the center and one to the left or right terminals. This did not work. The volume did not change. Please advise, do I need some other type of volume control or what is the correct wiring for this?

George

Attachments

• Security System Schematic.pdf
    23.2 KB · Views: 359
Try this (see the attachment).

This will work if the microphone is a dynamic type.

It will not work if the microphone is an electret type.

JimB

Attachments

• Wiring.JPG
    Wiring.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 326
First you need to determine what is the type of microphone. An electret mic is a common type but needs to be powered by the monitor. Your volume control will stop it from being powered.

Hello JimB and audioguru,

The schematic JimB sent me worked. Thank you. The manufacturer (Polaris USA [sales]) said the microphone was most likely an electret type. However, it is powered by its own 12V supply and not by the monitor.

Thank you all for the help. I would have never found the answer without your assistance.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back