Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage transformer for computer cooling fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

lk23

I am installing a 12 volt computer fan on the back of my stereo system to dissipate heat. The fan specs are 1.2 watt and .1 amp. What do I need to look for in a voltage transformer. I have found a 12 volt, 300mA transformer. Will that work? Do I need to match the amperage? Thanks

It will work fine, in fact, you could safely run 3 such fans from this transformer.
However, you did not say if the transformers output was rectified. These computer fans require 12V DC voltage, a transformer all by itself puts out AC voltage. Its easily converted to DC by inserting a bridge rectifier.

If your Stereo runs that hot maybe it is because you turned the volume up too much :D
Klaus

Thanks

Klaus, THanks for the quick reply. Yes, the transformer is 12 volt DC. It was previously the power source for Koss wireless headphones that no longer work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back