Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage to speakers with receiver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

axro

I have a 5.1 channel Yamaha receiver. I don't know how many watts it is total.

There is nothing wrong with it, I'm just kinda playing around with my multimeter because I'm going to make a color organ.

If I measure the voltage going to one of the speakers I get something like 9 to 15 millivolts DC. That can't be right is it? I tried measuring AC(which I thought it should be) and I got nothing. Am I missing something here?

It's ac. The meter probably can't respond to the music frequencies and "burst mode". The color organ will have a kind of sample and hold to fix that. Try something like 2001 with a long low bass note.

A small amount of DC is likely normal if it's a direct coupled output. And you should see AC when you are playing music. You may have to turn up the volume a bit.

Anyone who has looked at the audio signal to a speaker on an oscilloscope can attest to the fact that it is a collection of frequencies and amplitudes.

A good way to go about looking at these signals would likely be to remove the speaker(s) and replace with a load resistor of 4, 8, or 16 ohms depending on amplifier output matching the impedance. Then on the line input to the audio amp inject a sine wave at a known frequency of 400 Hz, to 1 KHz to a few KHz. Increase the output level to the load (without toasting the load resistor) and observe the audio signal voltage on a good AC Voltmeter.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back