Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage to digital reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

richacm

Hi all, my first post.

I've got a project I am working on which measures the water level in a tank by using a piezo pressure sensor (Honeywell 24PCBFA1D https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/05/0900766b80026163.pdf ) connected to an open ended tube inserted in to the tank. I calculated that the maximum pressure for 3m of water is about 4.5 psi so I got this 5psi max component.

The component measures pressure by a range of voltages, from what I can see. 85mV to 145mV, where 85mv is no pressure and 145mV is 5psi.

What I want to do is have some indication (LED's or Computer interface) as to the value. How do I go about converting say 100mV to a digital value I can do something with? E.g. light up the first 3 of 10 LED's to show the tank is 1/4 full. Or take the raw 100mv value in to the computer and calculate the height of water in the tank.

Thanks heaps,

Craig

you could start with a cheap multimeter, I can can get one for $6, rip it apart and remount it in another box. If re-scaling is the problem ie you want 100mV (or 100 somethings) to represent 100% full you could do it with an op-amp(even a 741).

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I think that LM3914 will work a treat in conjunction with that Op-Amp....just need to figure out how to convert the 100mV to a reading within the range for the LM3914.

That multimeter idea is interesting also, what components does that use?

Thanks for the input. I think that LM3914 will work a treat in conjunction with that Op-Amp....just need to figure out how to convert the 100mV to a reading within the range for the LM3914.
hi,
After a little amplification, the LM3914 resistor values can be configured to remove that 'bottom end' offset voltage of 85mV.
The LM3914 LED's will show 'zero' [say LED #1] and the 'top end' 145mV should light LED #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back