Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

C00ltuga

Hi all.

Since i'm new to this, i would like some ideas for a voltage regulator, that is capable of turning 24v from all-terrain vehicle batteries to 6v, with loads up to 8A
the voltage regulators i've seen (LM338k), can only handle this kind of loads if Vin-Vout < 10v

thks in advance

8A? Voltage regulators are generally used only to regulate the voltage to the electronics that need them, and not things like motors which do not need them and consume lots of power (which the regulator would have to deal with producing a large, heavy expensive regulator for something that doesn't need it).

When higher currents or higher input-output voltage differences have to be dealt with, generally you start looking at switching DC-DC converters/regulators rather than the typical linear regulators because they do not burn off the extra voltage as waste heat making them more efficient with less cooling requirements.

Last edited:
The only other easy way to achieve 6v at 8amp is to tap 3 cells of the 24v battery. Do this by using the ground as one line and screw a brass screw into the battery at the join of the third and fourth cells. This will give you a tapping at 6v. Many large batteries have connections between the cells that are visible on the top of the battery. Otherwise you have to burrow into the potting to get access to the connectors.

thks for your fast reply.

as i mentioned, i'm kind of new to this high power stuff.
maybe the idea of tapping between cells, or in this case, there are 2 batteries of 12v in series... if i use only one of them, a linear regulator like the the lm338k (wich i have in stock) would do the trick.

thks again... i was i litle blind on this and never thought of dividing the two batteries.

cheers

**broken link removed**

no problem with that, since instalation will be in a big alu box and probably i would fit a air conduit directly to heatsink.

thks again

cheers

thks for your fast reply.

as i mentioned, i'm kind of new to this high power stuff.
maybe the idea of tapping between cells, or in this case, there are 2 batteries of 12v in series... if i use only one of them, a linear regulator like the the lm338k (wich i have in stock) would do the trick.

thks again... i was i litle blind on this and never thought of dividing the two batteries.

cheers

**broken link removed**
If there is a time when there is no load on the LM338 you may have a problem. The minimum load current for the LM338 is 10mA. The 300Ω
resistor only provides 4mA. This could create a unstable condition. If their are times when there is no load I would recommend changing the 300 resistor to 120Ω, and the 1.15k to about 470Ω.

you got a point there, there will be two of these circuits, each supplying 2x SSC P7 @ 2,8A. for night All-terrain track. the circuits will only be powered on when leds are needed. so it will be no empty load condition... i think :)

cheers

please tell me how can i design the voltage regulator, and what is the right way to get an idea whether i am proceeding in the right direction or not.
I want to have a sound design guideline for voltage regulators, current regulator and cut off s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back