Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mopar71

Hi everybody, first poster here trying to get some ideas,I want to build a voltage regulator from 12v to 5v,I have the components but I dont know how or what to mount it to.I have a heat sink which the 7805 regulator is going to mount to, 2 caps,one for the 12v side and one to the 5v side.I want to be able to mount it to an instrument cluster(metal).Any Ideas appreciated.:)

I am using this diagram,sort of.(not using LED)
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
A car is a difficult environment for a regulator. If you can get by with 100ma look at the LM2931Z-5.0 instead. The **broken link removed** .

Designed originally for automotive applications, the LM2931
and all regulated circuitry are protected from reverse battery
installations or 2 battery jumps. During line transients, such
as a load dump (60V) when the input voltage to the regulator
can momentarily exceed the specified maximum operating
voltage, the regulator will automatically shut down to protect
both internal circuits and the load. The LM2931 cannot be
harmed by temporary mirror-image insertion. Familiar regulator
features such as short circuit and thermal overload protection
are also provided.

If you use the 7805 you should use it as part of a circuit that can handle difficulties as mentioned above.

3v0 said:
A car is a difficult environment for a regulator. If you can get by with 100ma look at the LM2931Z-5.0 instead. The **broken link removed** .

If you use the 7805 you should use it as part of a circuit that can handle difficulties as mentioned above.

**broken link removed**

This is the diagram I was looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back