Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage regulation for fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvos

:) hey guys, i need some help, i am new to electronics., i am in the process of building a voltage regulator for my delta ehe 10 watt, 12 v fan fan . i want to use a LM2941 regulator, my question is-what combination of potentiometer/ resistors will give me a voltage range that is closer to to 12v. the only problem is that i dont understand diagrams that well. if anyone can direct me to a site that can help me . i have got a guide that shows me a 'how to' with a lm317t regulator. any help would be appreciate it. thank you . :)

For an LM317:

When you use the regulator in the normal way (as shown in the datasheet), the equation for the output voltage is:

Vout = 1.25 * (1 + R2/R1) + Iadj * R2

If we use 240 ohms for R1, and 12V, ignore Iadj * R2 (because it's very small) then:

R2 = 240 * (12V / 1.25 - 1)
R2 = 2064 ohms

See https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/03/LM317.pdf

For an LM2914:

The equation is:
Vout = Vref * ((R1 + R2) / R1)

Vref is normally 1.275V, R1 is 1k, so:

R2 = R1 * (Vout / Vref - 1)
R2 = 1000 * (12V / 1.275V - 1)
R2 = 8412 ohms

See https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/03/LM2941.pdf

:D thanks Phasor for the reply. so with lm2914 , if i use a 5K ohm potentionometer ,the resitor needed is a 42 K ohm to acheve as close a output voltage to 12. thanks heeps. :D

If you use a 5k pot for R2, then use a 500 ohm resistor for R1, and adjust the pot until you read 12V on the output. (the value of the pot at this point should be about 4200 ohm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back