Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricity86

Hi,
Could anyone explain to me please what is the duty of voltage reference that chips often contain?

for example, my chip uses a 2.5V voltage reference for its A/D modulator, but i didnt find any description in its datasheet about what exactly is the duty of this voltage reference.

So it would help me alot if anyone could explained its duty in general.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi,
Could anyone explain to me please what is the duty of voltage reference that chips often contain?

for example, my chip uses a 2.5V voltage reference for its A/D modulator, but i didnt find any description in its datasheet about what exactly is the duty of this voltage reference.

Thanks!

Could you give the part number of your chip as that would help validate it's purpose and useage. In A/D convertors the reference voltage pin usually establishes the full range output of the digital value. Not sure what an A/D modulator is.

If say a 8 bit A/D convertor chip with 5vdc wired to the reference pin then if 5vdc was applied to the analog input pin the digital value would be 11111111, and if 2.5vdc was applied to the analog input pin the digital value would be 01111111 and if 0vdc was applied to the analog input the digital value would be 0. If 2.5vdc was applied to the reference input pin then a 2.5vdc applied to the analog input then the digial value would be again 11111111.

However there is enough varitations in designs and chip functions that one really needs to read the data sheet for your specific chip.

Lefty

Last edited:
And the lenght of the "pulse" will depend upon the clock frequency.

For example, if you have 110, and your clock is 1kHz, descending slope.
You know that the +V time will be at least 2 ms ~ 2.5 ms.

Hi,

Thanks!

The duty of a reference voltage is to have a value where other in puts or out puts will be compared to

in case of your chip (AD modulator) As lefty explaned already
it probably to set the level to judge if it is a digital 0 or a 1

to know for sure you need the data sheet

duty cycle of a reference voltage is normaly 100% in the analog designs but there could be situations that it is pulsed and that is normaly more to do with securing a certain sequence in the proces where it is used in

Robert-Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back