Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage reference with a zener diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futterama

Hello forum,

Can you please advise me on either, how to make a voltage reference using a zener diode (Philips BZV55 voltage reference diode), or how to use the Zetex ZR431 zener shunt regulator as a voltage reference.

I need a voltage reference to measure when the supply voltage (battery supply) reaches a certain voltage. I'm using a PIC with ADC and need a voltage reference for it. My battery supply can vary from 4V to around 10V (different number of cells being used).

I have access to both the BZV55 and the ZR431 and I have played around with both of them, and I just can't get a stable reference voltage.
I would like the reference voltage to be 2.5V with the ZR431 and any value below 4V for the zener (I have different zener voltages to choose from).

A circuit diagram would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Regards,
Futterama

Futterama said:
Hello forum,

Can you please advise me on either, how to make a voltage reference using a zener diode (Philips BZV55 voltage reference diode), or how to use the Zetex ZR431 zener shunt regulator as a voltage reference.

I need a voltage reference to measure when the supply voltage (battery supply) reaches a certain voltage. I'm using a PIC with ADC and need a voltage reference for it. My battery supply can vary from 4V to around 10V (different number of cells being used).

I have access to both the BZV55 and the ZR431 and I have played around with both of them, and I just can't get a stable reference voltage.
I would like the reference voltage to be 2.5V with the ZR431 and any value below 4V for the zener (I have different zener voltages to choose from).

A circuit diagram would be much appreciated.

Check my analogue PIC tutorials, which use the 431 - this is a precision reference, a simple zener will be pretty poor as a reference.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Check my analogue PIC tutorials, which use the 431 - this is a precision reference, a simple zener will be pretty poor as a reference.

Hello Nigel,

Could you please post a direct link to the page where I can find circuit diagrams using the 431? I'm having trouble finding it on your website, sorry :roll:

Futterama said:
Nigel Goodwin said:

Hello Nigel,

Could you please post a direct link to the page where I can find circuit diagrams using the 431? I'm having trouble finding it on your website, sorry :roll:

OK

Nigel, it works just fine!

The reference is 2.58 at my multimeter, regardless of input voltage variations. It should be a 0.5% reference (I use the SOT23 package), perhaps my multimeter is incorrect.

Thanks Nigel!

Edit: My multimeter must be out of adjustment! I just borrowed a FLUKE 87 that should be correct, it showed 2.497V.

Futterama said:
Nigel, it works just fine!

The reference is 2.58 at my multimeter, regardless of input voltage variations. It should be a 0.5% reference (I use the SOT23 package), perhaps my multimeter is incorrect.

Thanks Nigel!

Edit: My multimeter must be out of adjustment! I just borrowed a FLUKE 87 that should be correct, it showed 2.497V.

That's always the problem, you don't really have an accurate way of adjusting a voltage - unless you send your meter for expensive annual calibration, which isn't really worth it for domestic use (or most professional use either!).

It's not a bad idea at this point to check out the Maxim and Analog Devices sites for IC voltage references. They make very accurate references available in a selection of voltages and will usually provide free samples.

Dean

Dean Huster said:
It's not a bad idea at this point to check out the Maxim and Analog Devices sites for IC voltage references. They make very accurate references available in a selection of voltages and will usually provide free samples.

Or you can get them out of many scrap TV's and VCR's. The 431 is often used as a PSU feedback reference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back