Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodsman

I have a laser diode module that normally operates from two AAA batteries that produce a measured 1.27 mA at 3 V and I want to run it off of a 7-cell NiMH battery pack that produces a measured 5.3 mA at 9.56 V at full charge. (It's for an integral aiming device for an airsoft gun, in case you're wondering.) Given that I = V/R then 7k ohms of resistance should give me the proper amperage, but how do I reduce the voltage to the necessary level?

Dan

Last edited:
hi woodsman,
To run your laser from 9v battery rather than a 3v battery, providing the
current the laser draws from the battery is 1.27mA.[this seems low ???]

Then you have to drop 6v across a series resistor, so 6/0.00127 = 4724 ohms
the nearest preferred value is 4700R.

Place a 4K7 resistor in series with battery positive to the laser positive input.

Regards
EricG

Note: dont assume that AA batteries give 1.5v , alkaline will only give 1.2v
also check your 9v battery, [ PP3 type] for voltage when you have got your resistor connected.

Last edited:
A small laser pointer operates at about 20mA to 60mA. The internal resistance of its button battery cells limits the current. Your current-measuring meter also limited the current so the laser probably didn't work.

Maybe your "laser" is realy just a focussed LED.

AAA cells have double the capacity of the AAAA cells inside a 9V battery. You will be throwing away 6V of battery power.

A 9V alkaline battery starts at nearly 10V when its load current is low then quickly drops to 8V. Then its voltage continues dropping when it is loaded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back