Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage Multiplier circuit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AttO

Hi every body,
I'm building the high voltage multiplier circuit attached below, I want to understand the use of the highlighted capacitors.
many thanks to you all

Attachments

• voltage muliplier.JPG
    voltage muliplier.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 240
If you re-draw the circuit you will be able to see how the capacitor is connected in such a way that the voltage across it is added to the incoming voltage to produce a voltage that is almost twice the incoming voltage.
That's why it is so important to draw a circuit so that you can instantly recognize what is happening.

Thanks for reply but what you said applies to all capacitors in the circuit except the one connecting the upper cascade with the lower one, so if you please advice me about this particular one... (.47uf)

anyway i think this attached circuit will satisfy your suggestion about drawing and clarify what i mean more, my question about the red capacitor in this attached photo

Attachments

• 733px-Stacked_Villard_cascade.svg.png
    733px-Stacked_Villard_cascade.svg.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
With each separate voltage multiplying circuit, you have to have a "reference" or "earth" ot 0v point for the high voltage to
"conduct to." If you allow a corona discharge, it is using the ground as an earth point.
With the circuit you have provided, one arrangement is producing a positive potential and the other half is providing a negative potential and there is a varying voltage between the two due to the supply voltage fluctuating. The capacitor effectively joins two two halves and provides you with a voltage that can be considered as 0v from the negative terminal and twice the potential from the positive end.
But this means the potential at the power-in will be half the high potential you have generated and this must be considered.

Thank you for your answer, it helped alot.
I didn't understand this sentence:
"But this means the potential at the power-in will be half the high potential you have generated and this must be considered. "

will you explain it a little bet more??

About the values:
the red capacitor = 0.47uf 250V
all multiplication capacitors = 0.62uf 200V except last two stages in +ve and -ve cascade = 14nf 1600v
my circuit is 6 stages
please see attached circuit

Please explain the above sentence again for me . thank you very much for your effort and time

Attachments

• voltage muliplier(2).JPG
    voltage muliplier(2).JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
The circuit will produce a voltage "spray" from two "needles." One of these spray will be positive and the other will be negative.
When the two needles are placed near each other, the spray will be much greater.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back