Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage limiting circuit for oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

holabr

I am looking at using an oscilloscope app on an iPhone. It uses the microphone input to connect to a probe. Since the max input is 1 volt AC, what kind of circuit do I need to build to front end the probe to protect the iPhone from an over voltage situation or is this the function of the probe? Is there a simple way to build your own probe? It doesn't have to be highly accurate because I am just looking to play around with it to learn a little about using a scope. It also doesn't require me to bring another piece of equipment into my house. My wife already thinks I have too many "toys".

Do you know what the input impedance (input resistance) of the iPhone is?

A series resistor about 1/10 of the input resistance, using four 1N4148 diodes as shunt clamps as shown below would go a long way to protect the input from excessive voltages.

Attachments

• DF163.png
    DF163.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 237
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back