Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage in series + parallel resistor circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sawyer

Ok so this might seem like an easy question but for some reason I just can't figure it out... I know it is probably something really simple but of course I can be a complete idiot sometimes and not see it :) :D

**broken link removed**

So lets say S1 is closed, and each of the resistors are 100k Ohms. You measure 3.6 V across resistor R1, 1.2 V across resistor R2, 1.2 V across resistor R3, and 2.4 V across resistor R4. What is the battery voltage in the circuit?

btw this is a question in one of the tests for my online schooling course, but when I mailed the school for help on how to figure it out they literally said look on the internet! lol

I don't blame them.

The total voltage across some resistors connected in series is equal to the sum of the voltages across each resistor in series.

For example, the voltage across R2 is 1.2V and the voltage across R3 is 1.2V, therefore the voltage across both R2 and R3 is 2.4V which is also equal to the voltage across R2.

Message to anyone thinking about posting the answer.

PLEASE DO NOT POST THE ANSWER. Let him figure it out for himself because it will help him more.

That's because it's wrong.

I suggest you try again.

Last edited:
What's that supposed to mean?

How did you arrive at 8.4V?

Last edited:
By adding all the voltages... but then I realized I don't add the voltages in the parallel portion of the circuit to each other... I figured it was something really simple, just completely went by me for some reason :)

The mistake I made in a previous post probably didn't help, here's the correction:
For example, the voltage across R2 is 1.2V and the voltage across R3 is 1.2V, therefore the voltage across both R2 and R3 is 2.4V which is also equal to the voltage across R4.

I take it you got the right answer in the end?

Often it's simple and the circuit is drawn in a complicated way to make you think.

That's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back