Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillypig

hi all i want to drop 230 volts to 5 volts via a resistor what value should i use
thanks

Last edited:
You can't just make that statement. If it were done that way you would need to know the load current and the current would need to remain constant. Additionally you don't mention AC or DC. Your question is open.

Ron

first off i have a sound to light unit 230V ac i'm trying to mod the circuit to work for led's so i have replaced the triacs with some logic fets but i do not want to use a ac 12v supply for it but on the board befor mod it have a 4k7 resistor 10watt i wanted to know what the output power after the resistor unfortunatly my meter has dodged out so i can not get the right voltage to the chip so i know what voltage reg to use

Last edited:
It sounds like your sound to light unit is what is commonly called a color organ. The problem is that the voltage drop across your 4700 Ohm resistor will be a direct function of the current flowing through it. That current will be a function of the load. This would go better if you could post a drawing. A color organ uses triacs generally which have AC applied to their gates. Then we get into logic level mosfets which is where I am lost. Attached is a basic image of a 3 channel color organ using SCRs to drive incandescent lamps. Is what you have something like that?

Ron

Attachments

• organ1.gif
    organ1.gif
    8.6 KB · Views: 123
Dropping mains voltage with a resisitor is a lousy way to do it. Only a super cheap piece of unsafe chinese crap would use that method. Use a step down transoformer that outputs a safe DC voltage and a regular, if required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back