Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage drop across a resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsayre

hey i was just wondering if anyone could help explain voltage drop across resistors to me. i have 9,200 volts that goes into a 5m ohm resistor, then a 4.5m ohm resistor, then it goes into 4 seperate 10k ohm resistors. i need to know what the voltage drop across each resistor is. Someone Please help me, im new at this and could use the lesson.

hey i was just wondering if anyone could help explain voltage drop across resistors to me. i have 9,200 volts that goes into a 5m ohm resistor, then a 4.5m ohm resistor, then it goes into 4 seperate 10k ohm resistors. i need to know what the voltage drop across each resistor is. Someone Please help me, im new at this and could use the lesson.

The voltages at the taps are with respect to ground. To get the voltage across any resistor, subtract the values at its two ends.

Or you can compute it thusly: I=E/R, where E=9200 and R=5000k + 4500k + 4*10k = 9540k

9200/9540K = 0.96436mA

So, the voltage across any resistor = I*R, so for example the voltage across the bottom resistor is 0.96436mA*10K = 9.6436V

Attachments

• D8.jpg
    D8.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back