Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage divider

Status
Not open for further replies.
The output voltage changes if the load current changes.

An active regulator keeps its output voltage constant regardless of the output current (ideally).

Last edited:
samtheboxer said:
i found this link http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/voldiv.html and was wondering how this differs from a voltage regulator?

i blew up my NTE960 today and was thinking that if i go this route, i could bring and 11v source down to 5v to use with my PIC.....would that work?
hi,
The voltage divider using resistors is normally only used to divide a voltage signal level. As eng1 says the voltage to the PIC supply rail will vary according to how much current the PIC requires at any instant.

A 7805 voltage regulator will do the job and its a pin for pin replacement for the NTE960.

Eric

It is nearly impossible to blow up a 7805 regulator.
It limits the current if it gets too high.
It shuts down if it gets too hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back