Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage display project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfvenlord

Hi

I have a project in mind that I want to build,but Im not too sure if it can be done without a micro-controller.
What im looking for is a circuit that measures the battery voltage and displays it on two 7 segment LED displays.Im guessing I would need two decade counters,a 7 segment LED decoder and maybe an analog to digital converter(I think).
Does anyone know of a schematic,or have any ideas?
(It would be great if It didn't include a PIC or micro-controller cause I havn't got that far yet)
Thanks for all your help. :D

Howdy Elvenlord. You can do this with a anolog to digital converter such as an ICL7107 or NJU9202.

See this link for an example:
https://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/test/014/index.html

Also, through my experience with creating a voltmeter, it is often cheaper to purchase a panel meter for around $12 US which commonly already contain the necessary circuitry (ADC and selectable range). I've priced the ICL7107 and the NJU9202 IC's to around $9 to $12 US...then you add on the discrete components and a PCB and your cost will often be greater than purchasing a panel meter. Plus, a panel meter is often smaller and easier to fit to a chassis or enclosure. BUT, if you're looking to learn how this all works, than creating the circuitry yourself would be a good experience.

Here is an example of the panel meter that I'm referencing:
**broken link removed**

Please keep in mind, whether you go with a panel meter, or designing a circuit yourself, the ADC cannot measure it's own power supply, thus, you'll need a seperate power supply for the meter circuit additional to the power supply that is under test.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Hiya Johnson.
Thanks so much for your reply.The links you gave me are perfect for what I need.I think I will build it using the ICL7107 since its a bit of solder practice as well (much needed).
I would love to know how it basically works.Is the ICL7107 already programed or made especially for measuring voltage or can it be used in other circuits?

The 710X are analog to digital converters with display output.
It doesn't run any software, it's just a hardware A2D put into a chip, together with some logic that can display the output to a display directly.

basically, you can only use it to do an A2D conversion and put it on a display

Howdy Elvenlord. You can do this with a anolog to digital converter such as an ICL7107 or NJU9202.

See this link for an example:
Led display digital Voltmeter

Also, through my experience with creating a voltmeter, it is often cheaper to purchase a panel meter for around $12 US which commonly already contain the necessary circuitry (ADC and selectable range). I've priced the ICL7107 and the NJU9202 IC's to around $9 to $12 US...then you add on the discrete components and a PCB and your cost will often be greater than purchasing a panel meter. Plus, a panel meter is often smaller and easier to fit to a chassis or enclosure. BUT, if you're looking to learn how this all works, than creating the circuitry yourself would be a good experience.

Here is an example of the panel meter that I'm referencing:
**broken link removed**

Please keep in mind, whether you go with a panel meter, or designing a circuit yourself, the ADC cannot measure it's own power supply, thus, you'll need a seperate power supply for the meter circuit additional to the power supply that is under test.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

thaNKS FOR LİNK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back