Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage controlled amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I need to make a voltage controlled amplifier to put in a theremin. unfortunately the IC specified in the diagram is impossible for me to getso i must find another IC or make a VCA with an op amp. can anybody help me in this. i was also woundering: the theremin will probably have a log or exponential reaction so could this be neutralised with an op amp in expo or log configuration ? :roll:

Thunderchild said:
I need to make a voltage controlled amplifier to put in a theremin. unfortunately the IC specified in the diagram is impossible for me to getso i must find another IC or make a VCA with an op amp. can anybody help me in this. i was also woundering: the theremin will probably have a log or exponential reaction so could this be neutralised with an op amp in expo or log configuration ? :roll:

Texas Instruments & National Instruments make VCA's. They also provide versions with linear gain control. Also, I believe one can be made with opamps & a JFET (as variable resistor). Operational transcondcutance amplifiers might also work.

You say you can't get the IC you wanted, so how can someone recommend something, we don't know what you can get?

What IC are you not able to get?

Maybe someone here can Supply it.

Thunderchild said:

My friend, i want you to explain the principle with more clarify, could you please do that?!

for example , what is VCA?!
thanks!

4electros said:
Thunderchild said:

My friend, i want you to explain the principle with more clarify, could you please do that?!

for example , what is VCA?!
thanks!

A VCA is a Voltage controlled amplifier. It operates similar to a voltage feedback opamp but with an extra terminal for externally setting the open loop gain. One applies an external voltage usually between -1V & +1V to establish the gain. Useful in oscillators for stabilizing the amplitude and also used in audio applications (AGC circuits)

i do not know what i can and can't get util i ask for it. here in italy there is not that much of a hobbiest marcket. my supplyer is a local TV repairer that gets me what he can or there is another shop two towns away that supplies tv repaireres and the likle and has a bit more range but he told me that the SSM-2018 I weant is not available but the SSM-2017 is. this is funny because on analouge devices web site it said that the 2017 is obsolete and is replaced by the 2019 that anyhow is only a normal preamp and not a VCA.
i have come us with an idea: i can supply the control voltage as pulse widdth modulation (PWM) so for example if i want half the control voltage i will supply a 50 % duty cycle. if this is done at like 100-200 KHz then it will not be audible and can control the actual RMS of the signal i want to control and finish in a low pass filter to make it a bit more normal again.
so any ideas on PWM circuits simple if possible so the whole is not two complex.
btw as i do not use credit card or any stuff like that i have a problem with getting anything of the net. does anybody know a supplyer that has alternatives ?

I have one of these:

**broken link removed**

I haven't actually used it yet, but it should be very good looking at the specs.

You may also find the attached circuit useful, again though, I have no personal experience with it.

Attachments

• current_controlled_amplifier_123.jpg
    current_controlled_amplifier_123.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 526
the theremin i am building is the one i posted on this page if that helps. can anybody advise a suitabe IC to substitute the SSM-2018 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
ok but i need the data sheet for that part. how does that circuit work there are no pins specified or transistor numbers

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2005/11/2180data.pdf

That is the datasheet for the part. I'd suggest that using it is the easiest way to approach this problem, its a nice one IC package.

In the other circuit, the transistors you mention are actually inside the 1/2 LM13700; **broken link removed**

Thats why that whole area is surrounded with the dotted box. Ictl is the control current, it will be voltage controlled using a suitable resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back