Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage clipping help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaarvannan

Hi all,
I have a DC input from a battery (36V) to a motor controller. However, sometimes a fully charged battery has up to 42V. Since my motor controller is rated for 40V I need some kind of a clipper circuit that cuts off any excess voltage.

The only thing I can think of is a Zener diode with zener voltage of say 36V. Will this work? how much resistance do I need to add in series to the power supply if the current could be as high as 3 Amps.

Are there better ways to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!!

Cheers,
kaar

A zener will most likely just broke as the inrush current will destroy it any time the voltage exeed the zener break voltage.

But - a zener combined with a transistor to a relay will probably work.

Are the motor supposed to be connected directly in parallel to the zener?
If that's the case, the motor will probably not run because the resistor puts a limit to the current.

Anyway, the zener will get hot unless it have some cooling. Depends of its physical size.

Kaarvannan, In you circuit the 100 ohm resistor will limit the power to you motor. You need a circuit that will allow the motor to run under full power at 36 volts but remove only the voltage above 40 volts.

Look at these parts: LT4356, LTC4360, 61, 62, 63, 65, 66
https://www.linear.com/product/LTC4366

These parts limit voltage and some also limit current.
The LTC4366 limits the voltage with a MOSFET. At low voltage it only adds a fraction of a ohm. At high voltage it limits the voltage to any value you want (40V).

https://www.linear.com/product/LTC4366

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back