Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage clipper / Voltage limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaikanth.V

Hi,

I'm looking a circuit/product that something like a voltage limiter / Voltage clamper.
The limitation of the voltage range is up to 20 V. DC
If the voltage is exceeding more than 20 V then the circuit must work like a voltage clipper.
Finally i want to pass the voltage which is less than or equal to 20 V. DC

any product is available in the market?
if not advise how to build a circuit.

The current, i don't know exactly but i can tell you that it will not exceed more than an ampere.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Depending n what the final current is and the max voltage you may want to look into zener diode based circuits.

Ron

Perhaps a varistor or other transient suppressor? How sharp a cut-off do you need?

As to the uses of a zener diode a Google will bring up a dozen hits like this one. However, it would be wise to answer Alec's question as to how sharp of a cutoff? My reply was pretty generic in suggesting using a zener and one of several options.

Ron

A low dropout voltage regulator may work. If its voltage output is set to 20V then it will pass anything below 20V with a small drop, but limit the output to 20V.

What is the minimum voltage you need to pass?

few milli volts deviation is also OK.
In that case varistors and zeners alone won't suffice. Go with Crutschow's suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back