Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

voltage biasing for BJT

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanhan

I don't know of any such thing as "voltage biasing" of a bjt. It would be thermally unstable. Nobody ever controls Vbe directly. We emitter current bias the device. We do not base current bias the device because of beta dependency.
I found this in an old thread here: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/transistor-biasing-question.113993/
Does this mean that a battery is connected beween B and E?
Can you make clear about "thermally unstable"?
I think I know what does "voltage biasing" mean now but I curious about the case as Claude has thought. Why isn't it thermally stable?

Hi anhnha,
I agree with you - the answers in the referenced link are not satisfying - either they do not answer your question in a sufficient (detailed) manner or they are simply false.

The classical and most common way to bias a BJT in common emitter configuration is as follows (voltage biasing):
* Use a grounded voltage divider at the base, which is driven by the supply voltage.
The resistive niveau normally is chosen such that the current through the grounded resistor is approximately k*Ib=k*Ic/beta (k~6...10)
* Use, in addition, an emitter resistor Re to stabilize the selected Ic value against tolerances and temperature changes.
The value of Re normally is chosen to be app. 10...20% of the collector resistor Rc.
* Be aware that the signal gain drastically is reduced (but stabilized) due to Re - unless Re is bypassed with a capacitor Ce (gain increased again for frequencies above the corner frequency).

Winterstone

Supplement to the first point: The divider should create a voltage at the base node of Vb=Vbe+Ie*Re (with Ie~Ic and Vbe=0.65...0.7V)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back