Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Voltage and Current Understanding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

The discussion is interesting but it's beyond me at this stage I know that battery is power source :) the discussion is really confusing me. It would be easier for me to follow the thread if we can discuss about the circuit that I've setup in the breadboard with the picture that I've posted so I can follow the discussion again :)

Thank you for your help.

Cheers
What post number was it in?

Last edited:
DerStrom8,

Well yes, but that is not the point. I think you've completely lost track of what we're actually talking about here.

No, I know what we are talking about.

Sure, but a slab of a PNP semiconductor (which, by the way, is not just a "slab"--it's made up of three parts, but I'm hoping you already know that) has a lot more variables and factors that come into play, whereas a basic resistor does not. I'm using SIMPLE examples to try to help the OP, and IMHO, you're only making things more confusing for him.

Now for that I really have to apologize. I said PNP, but I really meant a slab of P-type semiconductor. I must have had a brain spasm to overlook such a simple mistake. Please forgive me.

The electrolyte is a specific element that strips the electrons from the oxidizer.

Answer me something. How do electrons get stripped from the oxidizer. I thought that the oxidizer takes in electrons, not give them away. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxidizing_agent

You probably ought to learn a little more about chemistry and how charges and ionized atoms work with each other before throwing out an argument against something that is saying the same thing as you are. Just saying

You did not describe it the same way before. You said that the ions did not move. I say they do. I am still looking forward to seeing how electrons get yanked out of an oxidizer.

Sure, they're just as important when it comes to making the battery actually work, but if someone is just trying to learn how current flows through a circuit, there is absolutely no need to tell them about how current flows just inside the battery.

My post was addressed to you, not the OP. However, he can read and ignore it if he desires. I believe all the questions he posted were answered. He is not going to be graded on what we say to each other.

Ratch

ljcox,

So the term potential & potential difference is a little misleading.

I never could understand that phrase either. Now if you specify some finite charges moving from one voltage level to another, then you have an energy or potential difference. V*Q = energy.

Ratch

Sorry to get so far off topic, Nick.

This kind of discussion happens in forums and that's understanable and really appreciate the in-depth discussion that's happening as I'm sure one day I will refer back to this post again to learn all the things that you are discussing :).

Nick,
It is hard to see exactly how the LEDs are wired in your photos.

So I've assumed it is as in the attachment.

If so, then the - probe of the meter should be on the 0 Volt line,

At1, you will measure the voltage of the 2 LEDs in series which will be about 4 Volt for red LEDs.

At 2 you will measure the voltage of one LED - about 2 Volt.

If you insert an Ammeter in series with the LEDs, you will measure the current through them.

Hi,
Guys please keep the Post answers to the 'simple' question the OP has asked.

If you want to expound your own theories, please start your own Threads, dont hijack other members Threads.

Moderation. E.

Hi all,

Thank you for all the answer I managed to spend few days doing breadboarding and was able to get the 'Aha' moment :), appreciate the help.

Hi all,

Thank you for all the answer I managed to spend few days doing breadboarding and was able to get the 'Aha' moment :), appreciate the help.

Glad to hear it, nick! :)

Once again, I apologize for my mess of posts :p Perhaps some day you'll be able to look back over this thread and get more from it ;)

Regards,
Der Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back