Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VLSI vs embedded system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harpreet

I'm not getting the exact difference between VLSI and embedded system.
What i know is VLSI is chip design and embedded system is to writting software for that chip. Can we say that Embedded system is first step for VLSI?

actually you are comparing apples with oranges. both are fruits but they are DIFFERENT!!!!!

VLSI is Very large scale integration as you would have already known. now VLSI refers to a manufacturing technology. it basically tells you that a chip has a big number of transistors fabricated on a unit area. now embedded system refers to a system which has software and hardware at a miniature scale. like PDAs, microwave ovens, washing machines all of these things have some hardware and embedded software. now this is not like your usual windows OS. this software is limited in resources depending on the system and the application. it does a specific job. its not meant to act like computer systems which can do a multitude of things at the same time

Nowadays "embedded system" is generally refered to system that involve microcontroller/microprocessor.

However, it is not totally has no connection with VLSI.
As we know, microcontroller is the core of embedded system, and whats inside it is VLSI design. I've come across to some postgraduate course on embedded system, their syllabus includes arcitecture, design of microcontroller. Anyway, only small amount of people is working on design of microcontroller, most of the rest of us just dont care to bother about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back