Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vizio 32" VW32L - Heat Sink problem (loose?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricN

Hey guys, I put up a post a few days back about my Vizio WV32L HDTV20A having issues with not wanting to come on. The amber light comes on but you have to beat the hell out of it to get the white light to come on and the TV to turn on. Occasionally the TV will crap out, shut off randomly, make crazy noises, scramble, etc.

Anyways...I got frustrated with it again today and took it apart again. I used the rubber end of my screwdriver to start tapping on things thinking "if I have to beat it around, something could be loose"....I came to the Heat Sink on the main board and as soon as I started playing with it, the TV came on. I Got the blue screen on finally and when I lightly wiggled the Heat Sink the "no input" letters on the display disappeared followed by the TV shutting back off to the amber standby light. I pushed on it a little, hit power, and it came right back on.

My question is, is this anything like a computer heat sink? Should I order a new heat sink and put a new one on with new heat sink contact solution? Is there a way to save this without having to buy a new $189 main board?

Here is a picture of it...BTW, I will NEVER buy Vizio again and I will never recommend it to anyone either!

Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• vizio.jpg
    vizio.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 688
Bad connection/crack in the solder on the chip under the heatisnk.

You will need to reflow or re-solder the chip back on properly.

I had the exact same problems with a Toshiba unit. Tapping on a heatsinc started the unit up again. Reflowing all the joints of the components in the area solved the problem.
Can the Heatsink be removed, is it intigral to the component under it, or simply glued on top of a component?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back