Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Visual programming system for using PIC as plc controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lourens

Some 2 years ago i posted PIC_CB on the forum. Since then many bugs were removed and improvements made notably in the processor speed. To comply with a distribution licence agreement the package is now called VPS_P18. The documentation is a fairly large (by my standards) file which i can post if required. Those who find this interesting let me know.

People may not want to run your .exe file to see what this is and what it does. Your ReadMe file doesn't contain any "what is this" info either.

Maybe you could put up a description and some GIF screenshots to let people understand exactly what this is and why it is good?

Mr RB you raised a very valid point which i did not even think about (as many other things). The following two files are part of the documentation included in the installation .exe (generated with INNO). In the one i attempt to introduce the reader to function block programming with a very basic example, and then show how you can do it with VPS_P18. This document also lists the function blocks available. The other is an application note showing how to use function blocks to communicate via I2C with a serial eeprom. Thanks for the feedback, enjoy the reading.

Hi ottoC, please do not use my e-mail to ask questions, rather use the forum. so we all benifit. As i find your questions interesting let me try to answer as best i can.
1. The package is not open source, except for the function block library. You can view them with notepad.
2. Using a few tricks you can view the pic source code generated for your application, but i will not advice you to use it for debugging. Being a visual system (you need not know anything about programming) the debugging is also done using visual tools. See the attached pdf.

Very nice concept for Visual programming

Hello Mr. Lourens,

I must say the program concept is really good. I had a test drive and can suggest few things:

1) Creating the shortcut on the desktop after installation.
2) Close button at the first gui
3) Help doc links in help menu.

And other things I would like to know is:
1) Can we edit the macros manually and map the LCD pins to our specific hw?
2) What about USB/RS232/SPI Communication?
3) And if we figure out how to make our own macros - if the software will automatically add those macros in "Add block context menu"?
4) Can we use any other RTOS? Say I just want to use the PID controller task with inhouse rtos?

I have not yet compiled and tested it on any hardware. But will surely try out something and will let you know more.

Thanks for such a great tool.

Regards,
electrojit

Hi electrojit, thanks for the feedback - let me attempt some answers

1) Can add shortcut, must first find out how to do it with INNO
2) Will add a close button on next version
3) I am investigating this document link thing but do not want to make the program (file) one big monolith - easier for me to handle in current form.

The other things is a bit more involved to comment on:
1) The lcd driver, which is called by the macro code, is the one you probably will edit- but there is a bit more to it and is something we can discuss later on
2) The pc is using the UART, USB is still byond me and the SPI is a bit down on my wanted list. The I2C works well (there is a application note on I2C in
the DOCUMENTATION directory.
3) There is a facility to add your own function blocks (documentation in progress) but they will not appear in the "Add block..." menu, you must supply the
source code.
4) I see no reason why you cannot use any of the macros in your RTOS, just remember my task manager is cooperative-based and you will have to look at
the code carefully. Also note the floating point format i use. For the PID specifically i use 2 variables for Manual mode control via a gui. Why not give it a
try!
Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back