Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

visual analyser probes

Status
Not open for further replies.

maicael

i recently got this visual analyser software on my hp laptop that uses sound card to read signals and one can use it to see wave form in the oscilloscope but having read the documentation i dont know what one can use as the probes to read real life circuits.
Does anyone here have experience with it on what to use as probes and in general.

Sound card oscilloscopes are not very useful because the sound card input jack is AC-coupled, so you cannot display DC levels and voltages. It is like using a Lab O'scope where you cannot turn off AC-coupling

so a real oscilloscope should do it then

Do what? A real oscilloscope works like a real oscilloscope. Sound card oscilloscope really is a poor substitute for proper oscilloscope.
But, if you are only measuring audio signals, then sound card can do the job.. to some extent.

Sound card oscilloscope is worth a try if the software is free. The probes are pretty easy to build. Google for "sound card oscilloscope probe". You will get lots of different results. Like this one: http://www.ledametrix.com/oscope/

Last edited:
This may be worth to try, it's nothing like the real thing but I guess is somewhat better than the sound card.

I've built it but it didn't worked at all, I suspect I didn't configured my computer properly.

https://sites.google.com/site/scopeonpc/scopeonpc4

From their site:

ScopeOnPC

ScopeOnPC is a free software that uses the PC parallel port and an ADC (Analog To Digital converter) circuit to turn your PC into a full featured ocliloscope.

Key Features

Sampling: 100K Samples per second (DOS version) -100KHz
Sampling: 40K Samples per second (Windows version) -
40KHz
-5 V To +5V Input Range
-50V To +50V Olerload Protection
8 Bit Resolution
Scope Timebases:100uS/Div To 100mS/Div
Scope Volts/Div: 100mV/Div To 5V/Div
Works with ANY parallel port

Last edited:
Status