Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vista print spooler problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Last night, I was checking my 401k, and wanted to print my current balance (lost over $2k), and got an error about the print spooler not running. Restarted the computer, still not running, went through the help file, tried to start it manually, still no luck. Got a utility from MicroSux, which turned out to be written for XP, and doesn't support NT 6.0, even though they suggested the solution for Vista Home Premium (IHATEWINDOWS). Messed around some more this morning, but still no printer. Still a new problem, and much to learn/decipher. Wondering if anyone here has gone through this (yet), from Google, seems to happen quite a bit. I never really cared for Windows, and learned on 95, it's best not to mess with it, so I only go into it when there is a problem, like this. Hopefully there is a quick and simple solution, but not crippled completely, still have my XP up and running, just have to move the printer cable over...

What printer are you using?

Have you tried reinstalling the driver?

Vista is crap for old hardware and software. It certainly doesn't support my old printer which doesn't even have XP drivers, but still works under Windows XP.

Click Start and Right Click Computer from the menu. Then choose Manage after you right click Computer. You should be in the computer managment dialog box. On the right side (Right Pane) click and expand Services and Applications. Click on and hilight Services. Now look at the list of services in the Right Pane and scroll down to Print Spooler. Click on Print Spooler to hilight it. Right Click on the Print Spooler service and choose Properties. Under the General Tab is the Startup Type set to Automatic? Note the path, it should be something like C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe and make sure the file is in fact where the path points.

Try manually stopping the service (if it thinks it is running) and restarting the service. Also look at the Dependencies tab and make sure the services the Print Spooler depends on are running.

Ron

Click Start and Right Click Computer from the menu. Then choose Manage after you right click Computer. You should be in the computer managment dialog box. On the right side (Right Pane) click and expand Services and Applications. Click on and hilight Services. Now look at the list of services in the Right Pane and scroll down to Print Spooler. Click on Print Spooler to hilight it. Right Click on the Print Spooler service and choose Properties. Under the General Tab is the Startup Type set to Automatic? Note the path, it should be something like C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe and make sure the file is in fact where the path points.

Try manually stopping the service (if it thinks it is running) and restarting the service. Also look at the Dependencies tab and make sure the services the Print Spooler depends on are running.

Ron

Didn't look at the dependencies, while messing around there. It started, but stopped when I tried removing the old driver. Restarted it, and tried to install a new driver (different name), stopped and error message again. Got the driver installed eventually, but spooler stop when I tried the test page. Gave up and logged on here...

It's a Laserjet 1020, been using it on this machine for a couple of years, it's my PCB printer, so kind of a bummer. Just switched the printer over to the XP, printed just fine. So guess, this is a Vista issue... Will play with it a little more after I get my dog walked. Haven't tried the injet photo printer yet, but figure it'll be the same story.

I would venture a guess it is a corrupt driver issue or something corrupt. Hell, it worked for a few years and everything was fine. Then all of a sudden this? The fact that the spooler starts and then stops is weird. Then using XP and XP drivers it works on another system. Sure as hell isn't the printer. :)

The print spooler service should be set to start automatically when Windows loads at start up. I wonder if somewhere there is a corrupt file in a print que that never successfully ran? However, that should have been cleared when the spooler was stopped and started.

Ron

UPDATE: Problem solved. Pretty simple/stupid fix too... Just out of curiosity, I looked through the pre-installed software, hoping to find some sort of diagnostic tool, in the HP folder, there was an update program that caught my eye. I turned off the automatic updates shortly after figuring that this machine was running stable, years ago... Took a shot, there were three updates available, one being printer-PC communications fix. Printer back online and printing. Still don't know what caused the problem, after working for years, maybe something happened when I recently installed a second HD, moved a bunch of files off the C drive, mostly photos and video. Also ran the disk clean-up and Defrag (probably what did it).

Good deal at whatever. Never question certain things. :)

Glad it is working and working where you want it to work.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back