Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Visio Electronic Template?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't recommend Visio for drawing schematics, use a dedicated piece of schematic capture software like Eagal.

Yes, it's free (as in you can use it free of charge).

... and you can find the latest version

Hero999 said:
I wouldn't recommend Visio for drawing schematics, use a dedicated piece of schematic capture software like Eagal.

Sometimes Visio is the better tool to use. If all you need to do is document a schematic, Visio i smuch better at generating notes, making tables & even inserting pictures than most schematic capture programs.
since Visio comes with all the fundamental electronic components, no time is spent making new symbols. This allows the user to spend more tim eon communicating ideas and making things clear (which is of utmost importance to any serious designer worth his salt)

I recommend visio as a documentation tool and schematic captures for only doing PCB work.

I use OpenOffice.org for that, the drawing program has it's strengths and weaknesses. I supposes it isn't as easy to use as Visio but it does have some handy features.

Here's the template I use with Oo_O, it isn't very good though because it doesn't use connectors.

Attachments

• Symbols.zip
    12.6 KB · Views: 1,576
All I want to do is document a schematic. I'm using Visio 2000, which apparently does not have the Electrical Engineering template built-in. I assume it was included in later versions. Does anyone know where I might find such a template for Visio 2000?

if all you are doing is drawing schematics for communication, visio may be ok. However, if you ever want to turn it into a circuit board or simulate it, you should probably use a schematic package. Also, schematic packages will have MUCH better part libraries than visio.

Eagle is pretty powerfull but a bit odd on the interface. There a lots of other PCB packages that have schematic capture and most of them have free versions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back