Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

virtual Ground question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarr

Hi,

Got a project that is a comm's sniffer / injector, project works fine however it needs two connections to work i.e. GND and test point as you would expect.

I had a thought and it's only a thought so no flames please, is it possible to only use one connection without having to find a common ground (by a wire that is) I saw mention of "virtual ground" not sure if this is what I'm talking about as it's all a bit heavy reading.

So question is, to pull a line high / low do I really need a wire connctingh to the GND on target?

Thanks

Steve

To inject an AC signal without accuracy it may work.
For DC, no.
For AC, you could use a capacitor from the ground lead to true ground to provide some isolation.

Last edited:
I saw mention of "virtual ground" not sure if this is what I'm talking about as it's all a bit heavy reading.

No, not really - "virtual ground" usually refers to generating a reference point between two supply lines (that is then used as the common or ground for a circuit). It is useful when trying to eliminate ground loops, or hum in AF circuits.

So question is, to pull a line high / low do I really need a wire connctingh to the GND on target?

As flat5 mentions, if the signal was AC or RF, you could use stray ground capacitance to provide a coupling in to the circuit under test (depending on circuit impedances) - but DC really does require something to reference it against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back