Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vintage Philco/Ford AM/FM radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben7

I got an old working Philco/Ford solid state radio for $7.50! It is in great shape too. The caps need to be replaced, I only had a few replacements in my capacitor box. You can see the main filter cap is about to burst its bubble. After replacing it, it got plugged in, and viola! It works!

Attachments

• DSCF0931.JPG
    DSCF0931.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 484
  • DSCF0932.JPG
    DSCF0932.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 351
  • DSCF0930.JPG
    DSCF0930.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 241
  • DSCF0926.JPG
    DSCF0926.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 455
  • DSCF0927.JPG
    DSCF0927.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 243
  • DSCF0928.JPG
    DSCF0928.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 294
  • DSCF0929.JPG
    DSCF0929.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 264
Guess everything is relative. I don't consider 60's electronics as 'vintage'.

Maybe you can find an 8 track tape player where you found that radio. ;)

It looks like a cheap clock radio. New ones sound and perform as bad but cost only $1.50.
A "vintage" radio uses vacuum tubes.

Actually, it doesn't sound really bad! I consider anything electronic over 40 years old vintage.

It took a tour through the Asian Pacific Rim for manufacturing. When each country started, it was "junk" as compared to what we were used to here in the States. But it was cheaper. Then it started getting better and a bit more expensive, so manufacturing of the "junk" went to another country as the first country got their act together and started putting out decent stuff. It started with Japan. Then Hong Kong. Taiwan. Korea. And now China. Remember when "Made in Japan" was the phrase that said "Don't buy me; I'm junk"? Now the Japanese have some of the finest optics, electronics, autos, motorcycles, machine tools, etc. Grizzley tools are made in Taiwan and are darned good tools. Korea makes the Hyundai, Kia and LG products. China still makes junk. Dangerous junk. Hong Kong got out of the manufacturing business, I suppose because their land was too expensive for that foolishness.

It took a tour through the Asian Pacific Rim for manufacturing. When each country started, it was "junk" as compared to what we were used to here in the States. But it was cheaper. Then it started getting better and a bit more expensive, so manufacturing of the "junk" went to another country as the first country got their act together and started putting out decent stuff. It started with Japan. Then Hong Kong. Taiwan. Korea. And now China. Remember when "Made in Japan" was the phrase that said "Don't buy me; I'm junk"? Now the Japanese have some of the finest optics, electronics, autos, motorcycles, machine tools, etc. Grizzley tools are made in Taiwan and are darned good tools. Korea makes the Hyundai, Kia and LG products. China still makes junk. Dangerous junk. Hong Kong got out of the manufacturing business, I suppose because their land was too expensive for that foolishness.

Oh yes, chinese junk is very dangerous sometimes! I forget where it was made, but we had a dishwasher that would smell like burning plastic whenever we used the electric heating (drying) element. We stopped using the heating element. Dishwasher was fine for a while, then the motor started having trouble starting, it would hum loudly and freak me out! Well, the motor quit, so we junked the dishwasher, after 6 years of use. A week later after we junked it, I found out it (the dishwasher) had been RECALLED!!!!!
:(:p:(:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::(:p:(--:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back