Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Video signal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well thats a vague request! How about a VCR? or a dvd player. the composite video out is a video signal :D Failing that, google 'composite video generation using microcontroller'. PIC's were often used to produce basic NTSC/PAL signals, the newer (and faster) AVR's soon took over. Even CPLD's/FPGA's are used for higher resolution and more colours.

I need to know how to convert information that was exported system VIRTEX 4 into VGA display.
How do I do this?

Well, considering the virtex 4 is an FPGA (a huge one at that) your 'infomation' could be anything, in any format. I'm not trying to sound patronizing, or stupid, but In order to produce a VGA signal, you really need to know exactly what you are trying to display. Is this pure plain old video from an MPEG decoder? Are you trying ti display characters/numbers/menu system?

Also note VGA is a bit different from 'video' standards, with separate RGB components - which is actually easier to generate over fully encoded composite video ala NTSC/PSL/SECAM. Xilinx has PLENTY of application notes on outputting VGA from its devices, and 'XESS' boards often have a VGA connector with resistor DAC's for this very purpose.

XSA-3S1000 Spartan-3 Prototyping Board with 1.2V, 1,000,000-gate FPGA

I'm sure they provide some evaulation VHDL/verilog which you can use. Failing that, Home :: OpenCores has plenty of open source IP cores.

Without know what is producing this 'information', I can be much help. But you won't need a seperate chip to generate VGA, its surprisingly straight forward in large FPGA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back