Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Video motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow

I have a philips VCR (model:VR6185)and a Hitachi (model:VT-M920E) and I want to use the big shiny motor, but I don't know how to control it.
Can someone help me with this.

I'm assuming that you talking about the big shiny thing that you see when you look through the hole that the tape goes into? That is the "head" that reads the magnetic stuff on the tape. It does spin, but I dont know how to control it, and it doesnt have any power/torque either, so you cant really use it to drive anything.

It is an assembly, if you take it apart there is a small motor that is DC driving the head unit. At least the ones a ripped apart had a DC motor.

Very weak indeed. It can be driven using a typical speed control.

For many, many, years all drum motors have been brushless DC motors (hall effect motors) - usually the mechanical parts are on the drum, and the electronics that make it into a motor are on the main board. To use it as a motor you would have to remove the components from the main board and build them seperately.

As already mentioned though, these motors are designed for precision and controllability, not power - they provide very little power at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back