Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

video monitor test software available

Status
Not open for further replies.

unclejed613

Most Helpful Member
way back when (back in the mid 1990's to be exact) i worked for a company that repaired computer monitors. however the company could not afford a dedicated test pattern generator. one of them cost $3000.00, and another one that was a PC with a proprietary multifunction card and test pattern software cost $10,000.00. i figured i could do the same thing with a collection of cards and a PC for a lot less, so i began writing a set of test pattern programs, with a separate EXE file for each pattern, and i would install the correct card (mono, CGA, EGA, or VGA), boot the computer and run the test patterns i needed. soon, the collection of test pattern programs grew quite large, and Trident came out with an inexpensive multifunction card, so i decided to put all of the test patterns "under one roof", and add SVGA patterns as well. when i was finished, a PC with a cheap multifunction card and a single program was all that was needed for a test pattern generator that would test mono, CGA, EGA, VGA and SVGA monitors. i happened to mention this to a vendor who i had bought monitor schematics from, and they asked if i would send them a demo copy of the program. so i compiled a demo copy of the program with the display of each test pattern limited to 10sec, and sent it to them. they tested it with the recommended hardware and liked it, and asked how much per copy i wanted. i set up an agreement with them, and sent them a copy of the software with a self installer and documentation. for the next 2 or 3 years i made some money on the deal, quite often making enough for my mortgage payment. after a while, both my business (repairing computer monitors) and their business (monitor repair support) dried up. the cost of new CRT monitors went from $300.00 to less than $150.00 in less than a month, and i (and apparently the owners of the support company) had to find a new line of work.

well now, after finding that there's a little bit of interest for it, i have recompiled Video Test Bench as FREEWARE, and will be placing it in a zip file available for download, both in this thread, and in my blog.

a couple of things to be aware of:
1) you should use the recommended hardware
2) the software will run under any version of DOS that doesn't have hardware abstraction (WIN2K, WINXP, etc.. all have hardware abstraction in the DOS that runs in a cmd window)
3) ask me if you want instructions on how to wire up a config switch to a multifunction card.
4) i no longer have hardware to test the software on, and have to rely on DOSBOX's emulation as being correct when i test the software.

Last edited:
ok, i had to put the zip file together, made a few changes to the documentation (i'll finish the additions to the documentation later).

it's a good thing i used batch files to compile with, as it's been so long i wouldn't have had a clue how to recompile it....... not without at least a day's worth of reading...

Attachments

• vtbf44.zip
    122.4 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
this is taken from the documentation of the video library i used:
Code:
Ahead Technologies
    ATI
    Chips & Technologies
    Everex
    Genoa GVGA
    NCR