Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Video Amp circuit for Component (RGB) video

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayyolanda

Hi guys, I'm looking for a good circuit to amplify Component video High Def. I want to drive several long cable runs. Switching is also a possible requirement. I have been looking at AD8055 and AD813 chips but wonder if there are other options, including transistors. Any comments welcome. Thanks.

Hi guys, I'm looking for a good circuit to amplify Component video High Def. I want to drive several long cable runs. Switching is also a possible requirement. I have been looking at AD8055 and AD813 chips but wonder if there are other options, including transistors. Any comments welcome. Thanks.

To start with, it might help if you knew that Component isn't RGB! :D

You can get baluns to do this, they convert the Component signals to CAT5, then convert back at the other end - it's a LOT cheaper than using Component screened cabling. This is how professional installers wire a house for HD.

Unless you are quite familar with high frequency circut design (and confusing component with RGB leads to me think you aren't), then if you still want to send component over coax, I would suggest you buy an already designed component video distribution amp, such as this from Gefen **broken link removed**.

If you insist on building you own you might look at Maxim. They sell several triple high frequency op amps that should work. **broken link removed**.

Thanks for the replies, but I think you guys should take some happy pills.

The reference to RBG was to make it clear that I was not talking about COMPOSITE. The main issue here is the bandwidth. It seems that for HD video whether it is Component or RBG the bandwidth needs to be 200 to 330 Mhz. Maybe if I had not put the RGB in the title I would have got some sort of reasonable reply instead of ....if you don't know ...then we wont tell you.....reply. If you want to be a preacher...join a church......if you want to be a teacher....find someone that does not know...
This is a quote from Wikipedia.........

One way of maintaining signal clarity is by separating the components of a video signal so that they do not interfere with each other. When a signal is separated this way it is called 'component video'. S-Video, RGB and YPbPr signals comprise two or more separate signals: hence, all are 'component video' signals.

Anyway, I came here for some help, not to get into some sort of silly conversation. The signal to be amplified is similar with the exception of the treatment of sync.

I would be happy to hear from anyone that CAN help with some ideas and ideas. I thought that was the purpose of this forum.....

My are you touchy. You could use a chill pill yourself.

Regarding component video, the convention today is to use that term for YPbPr video, although technically, as you say, the others you mentioned can also be called component video.

As far as being a teacher and finding someone that does not know, I though you fit into the latter category, which is why you asked your question.

When I attempt to answer questions, I try to ascertain the technical level of the person asking the question by noting any apparent technical inaccuracies or errors in the question. If I underestimated you technical knowledge, I apologize.

But I still don't know what it is. If you are capable of designing and laying out a high frequency analog circuit, then my reference to the Maxum product stands. But unless you really are intend on reinventing the wheel, it's much easier, faster, and probably not significantly different in cost to use an already built device such as the Gefen.

I have designed and built high frequency analog circuits, but I would never do my own component amplifier If I could buy one already built, because I know the large amount of time and effort it takes to get such an amplifier working properly. You would need a high frequency signal generator and oscilloscope at a minimum to properly test it after it was built. Oscillations and incorrect frequency response often appear even in well designed and laid out circuits. So you would need a very compelling reason to do your own design for this.

Carl...thanks for the reply....ok....took my pill........
It did seem like I was being told to stop before I started....ok, no problem.
I have 20 years experience and a degree in electronics, however most of my time has been spent in digital and some audio. Enough for the resume......I look at electronics as a set of defined rules and some common sense. A little magic but not too much. I don't see the design being too prone to rf problems as most of this will be single chip solutions or a couple of chips with very short pcb traces. The application notes are usually very good at pointing out the requirements.
Maxim chips are a bit hard to source locally for me but Analog Devices I can get. I was looking at an ADA4862 but not sure about avail or AD8075 which looks like a great chip.
Just thought that someone may have done this before and save me a bit of work. Anyway.....thanks again.

Thanks guys.

Urbergeek63.....that is a nice spec opamp...but...it is a little low in bandwidth for HD video. You really need more than 300 Mhz for 1080i/p signals. It seems strange at first that such a high bandwidth is required but this is all about pixel rate so if that opamp is used it will work but will give a picture with colour bleed and loss of definition.

Nigel.......Cat5 is a nice solution.....I have coax in place so I would like to drive it....what are the losses with differential opamp and Cat5 solution? I might research this....for next time....always nice to learn something new...thanks.

I have found a bunch more chips that look good, LT6555, LT6558, LT6556 and LMH6733, LMH6734, LMH6738.
Has anyone built a HD video amp or does everyone just buy one? I started in electronics when if you wanted something you had to make it...I think I like that better than buying....
Thanks......

Nigel.......Cat5 is a nice solution.....I have coax in place so I would like to drive it....what are the losses with differential opamp and Cat5 solution? I might research this....for next time....always nice to learn something new...thanks.

I've never actually installed it, but I have fitted TV's on CAT5 systems, entire houses wired with CAT5 everywhere, and HDTV's in all rooms - losses don't appear to be a problem, and those I've seen all worked flawlessly. Obviously there's no sound over the CAT5, but each room had individual surround sound fed from the same central distribution as the pictures.

Apparently you can also get HDMI over CAT5 as well, but I've not seen that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back