Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Vibration sensor ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cceto1

Can anyone recommend a method for sensing vibration in
such a way that it could be fed to a microcontroller as
sensor input?

The amount of vibration would be typical of a mid sized motor,
say from a table saw or other small/medium industrial gear.

Are there off-the-shelf components that might do this?

thanks in advance!

Chris

Take a look at devices called accelerometers. I know little about them but they might be what you need.

Lots of work has been done in the area of vibration monitoring and the cost for equipment (especially sensors) has dropped in the past 20 yrs though it still may be out of your reach.

You might research publications to understand what frequencies provide the information you need. A microphone, speaker or piezo element (crystal for that matter) might give you the coverage you need though the amplitude may be a problem that requires attention. You'd likely need to filter and amplify the output. It might be that even the smoothest running equipment drives the sensor to full output - got to do some experimenting. Where you go from there has to be determined. Will you just look at RMS values or do you want to digitize the signal for further processing? I would think you could adapt some audio spectrum analysis software but I've no clue if that is too tall an order for a microcontroller.

Not much help but it might give you a little something to work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back