Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VGA transmitter / receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigsut

Hi, I am new to electronics and am taking on a large project for a newbie.

I want to build a wireless VGA transmitter and receiver pair. I want to take the VGA signal coming out of the computer and transmit it via an RF signal to a receiver connected to either a Monitor or Projector. I am thinking that prehaps PIC's would need to be used. I would also like to make the power supply internal if at all possible.

I need help with this project and would appreciate any help and guidance provided.

Thank you in advance

If you look at the bandwidth numbers, it just won't work. Say you want to do 640x480, 60Hz, 24 bit color => 300K pixels * 3 bytes/pixel * 60 = ~60 Megabytes per second. That would be pushing gigabit ethernet, and is about 50 times greater that what you can do with 802.11.

Now, if you are willing to go analog, and do TV resolutions - then it's easy, but expect to have some pretty lousy quality...

The real solution that commercial products use is to have some complex and expensive encoding techniques that are nearly impossible to homebrew.

It surely wouldn't be easy, but you should be able to stream MPEG2 (or 4) data over say a wi-fi connection. What exactly are you trying to do this for?

Well I thank you all for the input and will have to just use a different method.

I was planning on installing a projector on a high ceiling and did not want to run a vga cable all the way, I will have to probably use a vga over cat5 solution.

Once again I thank you all for the input.

You might perhaps be interested that's there been some talk of the possibility of creating wireless HDMI for HDTV - this has similar problems to VGA really. Essentially you need VERY high bandwidth, so you need a VERY, VERY high carrier frequency - and available spectrum would have to allocated for it.

It's not going to happen tomorrow, assuming it ever does?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back